[arch-general] User/group name restrictions

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri May 24 18:13:21 UTC 2019

On 5/23/19 7:08 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> Given that your initial post does specifically state that you are
> patching the package in order to allow it, I will assume that nothing I
> just said about upstream's intentions is remotely surprising to you --
> you would have to know that it's enforced in libmisc/chkname.c in order
> to patch it, soooo... may I ask why you posted to the list asking why it
> is not allowed "in Arch Linux", rather than "in the upstream,
> distribution-agnostic shadow-maint software"?
>
> It seems almost disingenuous to put it that way, and you are the person
> who would know better than most arch-general readers that it's not
> actually something Arch Linux is doing. Why be misleading? It will only
> result in people having no idea what you are talking about, assuming
> your public statements about this being some form of Arch Linux
> configuration are accurate, and giving you uninformed answers as a
> result. This is hardly conducive to your desired goal to find out why.

Just wanted to clarify -- I did not think you were being deliberately
misleading here. It just seemed like an oversight, possibly assuming
other readers also know exactly how the shadow package is constructed,
and I wish to highlight the importance of making sure that questions are
asked with enough background to allow others to grok what is actually
going on.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User