[arch-general] new packaging of the kernel/mkinitcpio/kmod

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 3 21:02:53 UTC 2019

Em novembro 3, 2019 12:45 Genes Lists via arch-general escreveu:
> On 10/31/19 2:30 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
>> ...  Also, as I've mentioned, dracut should receive
>> soon, hooks similar to those mkinitcpio did, with a few differences of
>> course.
>
> Since Giancarlo brought up dracut in May this year, I've been using this
> successfully to boot custom built upstream kernels on about 8 different
> systems, including servers running soft RAID. And it works very, very
> well - thank you for driving this forward.
>
> Giancarlo is there anything that may need changing to boot using dracut
> going forward?

I'm as of now writing hooks for dracut to be able to install the kernel, as
mkinitcpio does, and I'm considering have a preset config, like mkinicpio,
so it gives the user the ability to decide how dracut is ran.

Other than that, given that dracut is slightly different than mkinitcpio, I
don't think these hooks should be overworked. On the other hand, the kernel
installation will be somewhat inflexible if done only to /boot.

I think initially it'll be like that, but then we can use dracut's configuration
for this.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini