[arch-general] new packaging of the kernel/mkinitcpio/kmod

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Mon Nov 4 03:59:53 UTC 2019

On 11/3/19 7:31 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:

> That would require having dracut depend on mdadm. I think this is something
> to be done by the user. I plan a simple config/preset per kernel that
> will be

  Yeh, that makes sense - plus its very easy to add to dracut.conf

> called twice, once with -H and once without, to create the
> regular/fallback images.

  Been thinking about that - I've switched to building without -H and
not creating a fallback image - I've also switched to signing all
modules (in and out of tree).

  Not sure what value a fallback image actualy provides at this point?
It takes more space and I don't see it adding much value.

> Also, I've found out that, for some reason, dracut defaults to creating
> non-compressed
> images when nothing is passed, so I'll probably add arguments to make
> sure they are compressed.

 Good catch - i missed that.

  I that that we would be better with compression being put in
dracut.conf.  Be more flexible that way than the command line which I
assume overides dracut.conf - so a lot less flexible.

  Also, is it time to switch from gzip to xz or even to zstd yet?

gene