[arch-general] How to install archlinux using a specific parition of usb instead of the whole usb?

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Wed Nov 6 04:33:26 UTC 2019

On 11/5/19 10:50 PM, Hongyi Zhao via arch-general wrote:
>> Are you using the appropriate kernel cmdline args in the menu entry?
>> They're different from Arch's grub loopback menu entry.
>
> This is just what I stucked on.  I failed to figure out the correct
> cmdline args used for linux and initrd.
>

>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/MultibootISO
>
> Useless.  This is for Debian *live* instead of Debian *install* iso,
> the image I use for install Debian is:
>
> http://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/debian-cd/10.1.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

The live CD contains the installer. They're functionally the same, more
or less, and are created by the same tool/use the same init.

The only difference from that article is:

	bootoptions="findiso=$iso_path boot=live components quiet splash"

would instead match the boot entry of the installer ISO. e.g. these are
directly from the install ISO's grub menu ([iso]/boot/grub/grub.cfg):

menuentry --hotkey=g 'Graphical install' {
    set background_color=black
    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
    initrd   /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
}
menuentry --hotkey=i 'Install' {
    set background_color=black
    linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
    initrd   /install.amd/initrd.gz
}
(...)

SO you can either:

1.) Use the following:

set iso_path=path/to/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
loopback loop "$iso_path"

menuentry --hotkey=g 'Graphical install' {
	set background_color=black
	linux (loop)/install.amd/vmlinux vga=788 findiso=$iso_path components
--- quiet
	initrd (loop)/install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
}
menuentry --hotkey=i 'Install' {
    set background_color=black
    linux    (loop)/install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 findiso=$iso_path
components --- quiet
    initrd   /install.amd/initrd.gz
}

or even,
2.) Use the ISO's grub file directly:

set iso_path=path/to/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
loopback loop "$iso_path"

menuentry 'Debian' {
	configfile (loop)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

But the latter is unlikely to work because again, that config is
expecting to be running grub itself so the paths are probably not going
to be correct.

I recommend instead using a generic name for the ISOs (e.g.
"debian.iso") so you don't need to edit/regenerate the grub.cfg for the
USB device every time you update the ISO.

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/