[arch-general] How to install archlinux using a specific parition of usb instead of the whole usb?

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 05:01:40 UTC 2019

brent s. <bts at square-r00t.net> 于2019年11月6日周三 下午12:33写道:

> On 11/5/19 10:50 PM, Hongyi Zhao via arch-general wrote:
> >> Are you using the appropriate kernel cmdline args in the menu entry?
> >> They're different from Arch's grub loopback menu entry.
> >
> > This is just what I stucked on.  I failed to figure out the correct
> > cmdline args used for linux and initrd.
> >

> >> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/MultibootISO
> >
> > Useless.  This is for Debian *live* instead of Debian *install* iso,
> > the image I use for install Debian is:
> >
> > http://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/debian-cd/10.1.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
>
> The live CD contains the installer. They're functionally the same, more
> or less, and are created by the same tool/use the same init.
>
> The only difference from that article is:
>
>         bootoptions="findiso=$iso_path boot=live components quiet splash"
>
> would instead match the boot entry of the installer ISO. e.g. these are
> directly from the install ISO's grub menu ([iso]/boot/grub/grub.cfg):
>
> menuentry --hotkey=g 'Graphical install' {
>     set background_color=black
>     linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
>     initrd   /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
> }
> menuentry --hotkey=i 'Install' {
>     set background_color=black
>     linux    /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
>     initrd   /install.amd/initrd.gz
> }
> (...)
>
> SO you can either:
>
> 1.) Use the following:
>
> set iso_path=path/to/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
> loopback loop "$iso_path"
>
> menuentry --hotkey=g 'Graphical install' {
>         set background_color=black
>         linux (loop)/install.amd/vmlinux vga=788 findiso=$iso_path components
> --- quiet

IMO, this is the most difficult thing to figure out a workable
menuentry,  I mean, the follownig code inserted here:

findiso=$iso_path components

And from where can I find the full manual for this?  I have inspected
the following webpage:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt

And I cannot find out the parameters/arguments used here: `findiso'
and `components'.

>         initrd (loop)/install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
> }
> menuentry --hotkey=i 'Install' {
>     set background_color=black
>     linux    (loop)/install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 findiso=$iso_path
> components --- quiet
>     initrd   /install.amd/initrd.gz
> }
>

> or even,
> 2.) Use the ISO's grub file directly:
>

> set iso_path=path/to/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
> loopback loop "$iso_path"
>
> menuentry 'Debian' {
>         configfile (loop)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

No, this is not the initial grub.cfg used by the iso when running in
the efi mode which is the de-facto nowsdays.  The first grub.cfg used
by the iso is:

/EFI/debian/grub.cfg

This file will then source all of the other grub.cfg, including the
one in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which is the last grub.cfg in the chain.

--
Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences