[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] New kernel packages and mkinitcpio hooks

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:00:49 UTC 2019

> This has been discussed a bit on the dracut thread, as well on some other threads over time.
> I *personally* don't like the complexity of kernel-install that much.

I've now read this twice on Arch mail lists, so I have to ask, without
any presumptions on my side, what are the arguments against
kernel-install?

I must say, I don't see much complexity in it. It's only a 184 line
bash script[1].
And as added feature, it decouples the kernel install from the kernel
package install (and pacman),
also defines couple of easy-to-use config locations like /etc/kernel/cmdline

But I guess I might be missing something.

[1] especially compared to dracut (not that they do the same thing),
which seems much more complex, and that complexity did introduce bugs
- for which I've sent a PR

--
damjan