[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] New kernel packages and mkinitcpio hooks

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 11 02:08:41 UTC 2019

Em novembro 10, 2019 22:52 Amish via arch-general escreveu:
> I am planning to do full system upgrade except linux package.
>
> i.e. pacman -Syu --ignore linux --ignore linux-lts
>
> Would the change in mkinitcpio and /boot create a broken system for me?
>
> You have written it is backward compatible. So do you mean it is
> backward compatible with older linux / linux-lts?

Hi Amish,

Given that that kernel does not have a pkgbase file, if you do a full upgrade,
what's going to happen is that mkinitcpio will ignore that kernel, and will not touch
it.

There are some instances where your initramfs might get built twice, but other than
that, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, any kernel that has a pkgbase, but still install the kernel to /boot, will get
the kernel installed twice, and the initramfs images generated twice. I think we had
a couple of kernel versions that contained a pkgbase file, but still installed the kernel.

I have done a few tests with mixing kernels with pkgbase and without them, the only side
effect was building it twice on mkinitcpio upgrades (or when a file changes on /usr/lib/initcpio).

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini