[arch-general] The differences among bootx64.efi, loader.efi and grubx64.efi.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:13:34 UTC 2019

Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> 于2019年11月15日周五 下午8:57写道:

> Hi Hongyi,
>
> > I noticed that for many distro's install iso, there are some efi files
> > in the EFI/efi folder as follows:
> >     bootx64.efi, loader.efi and grubx64.efi
> >
> > Say, for arch:
> >     bootx64.efi, loader.efi
> >
> > for debian:
> >     bootx64.efi  grubx64.efi
>
> bootx64.efi is the default, others may exist as you can see.
> NVRAM defines a list to iterate over of *.efi to attempt.
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/About_EFI_UEFI#The_ESP has some detail.
> The start of https://jdebp.eu/FGA/efi-boot-process.html may also be useful.

But, I've tried use the grub2's chainloader method to invoke these efi
loaders, and I found that for most of the time, if both of the
bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi exists, the latter will have the most
chance to succeed, but the former often failed to boot.

Regards

--
Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences