[arch-general] The differences among bootx64.efi, loader.efi and grubx64.efi.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:31:10 UTC 2019

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com> 于2019年11月15日周五 下午9:13写道:

> Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> 于2019年11月15日周五 下午8:57写道:
>

> > Hi Hongyi,
> >
> > > I noticed that for many distro's install iso, there are some efi files
> > > in the EFI/efi folder as follows:
> > >     bootx64.efi, loader.efi and grubx64.efi
> > >
> > > Say, for arch:
> > >     bootx64.efi, loader.efi
> > >
> > > for debian:
> > >     bootx64.efi  grubx64.efi
> >
> > bootx64.efi is the default, others may exist as you can see.
> > NVRAM defines a list to iterate over of *.efi to attempt.
> > https://wiki.mageia.org/en/About_EFI_UEFI#The_ESP has some detail.
> > The start of https://jdebp.eu/FGA/efi-boot-process.html may also be useful.
>
> But, I've tried use the grub2's chainloader method to invoke these efi
> loaders, and I found that for most of the time, if both of the
> bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi exists, the latter will have the most
> chance to succeed, but the former often failed to boot.
>
> Regards

The most strange thing I noticed that is the efibootmgr's arg format as follows:

-l | --loader name     (defaults to "\EFI\/boot/EFI\grub.efi")

Why it must be used like this strange form.

And in the website you given here, it also gives the example like the flowing:

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sdc -p 1 -w -L 'grub-mkstandalone-x86_64
usb' -l \\EFI\\grub-mkstandalone\\grub-mkstandalone-x86_64.efi

And this is the one I tried on my Debian/Manjaro/Ubuntu box, and it
seems does the trick.  But I still cannot figure out why they design
the path format like this.

Regards