[arch-general] Many timers now running at boot. How to make them run later?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 21 10:08:54 UTC 2019

  After not booting an Arch box for several days, the first few minutes seem
quite MS like lately with a flurry of processes running to the point after I
enter my username at the console, it may be 10-20 sec before the password
prompt is displayed.

  Since it's all timers now and not cron running things quietly at 4:00 am,
this loads sever processes right at boot that cause the problem. For example,
boot just now was crawling and checking systemctl timers shows:

(leading columns snipped)

LAST                         PASSED    UNIT                         ACTIVATES
n/a                          n/a       systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer systemd-t>
Thu 2019-11-21 03:33:43 CST  11min ago logrotate.timer              logrotate>
Thu 2019-11-21 03:33:43 CST  11min ago man-db.timer                 man-db.se>
Thu 2019-11-21 03:33:43 CST  11min ago shadow.timer                 shadow.se>

4 timers listed.
Pass --all to see loaded but inactive timers, too.

  This impacts being able to get thins from a computer in a hurry and reminds
me of the unpleasant waits waiting for windows to run all of its on-boot checks.

  What is the best way to modify this scheme to prevent, e.g. logrotate.time,
man-db.timer and shadow.timer all trying to run on boot? I'd rather set them
up to run a 5:00 localtime as I would with cronnie. But I do want to use the
systemd timer, so what is the best way to configure the systemd timer to
schedule these things to run at a convenient time instead of all firing on boot?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.