[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 7 04:22:37 UTC 2019

Em outubro 7, 2019 1:02 Marc Ranolfi via arch-general escreveu:
>> The `base` group has been replaced by a metapackage of the same name, we
> advise users to install this package (`pacman -Syu base`), as it is
> effectively mandatory from now on.
>
> Please, was this discussed somewhere? I want to know the details, and
> gather what is needed to update the 'Installation guide' article in the
> wiki. In particular, I want to understand why essential packages for new
> installations, such as the kernel and a text editor, are not included
> (actually I see the kernel is an optional dependency).

Yes, this was discussed over the years in several threads. The most recent being [0].

Lacking a kernel is mainly for container based environments. And some superfluous
packages were also removed from the group, like an editor.

The necessary changes to the installation guide were already made [1].

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-January/029435.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Install_the_base_packages