[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 04:21:09 UTC 2019

Hi,

Le 07/10/2019 à 06:02, Marc Ranolfi via arch-general a écrit :
>> The `base` group has been replaced by a metapackage of the same name, we
> advise users to install this package (`pacman -Syu base`), as it is
> effectively mandatory from now on.
>
> Please, was this discussed somewhere?

Yes, please see
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-January/029435.html
and
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-March/029491.html.

> I want to know the details, and gather what is needed to update the 'Installation guide' article in the wiki.

Please join ongoing discussion here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Installation_guide#Changes_for_the_base_package

> In particular, I want to understand why essential packages for new
> installations, such as the kernel and a text editor, are not included
> (actually I see the kernel is an optional dependency).

Because neither of those are needed in e.g. container environment.
Actually we are discussing reducing base even further, just look at
recent bugs in the bug tracker. A regular user likely will want some
kernel (but the linux package is only one possible recommandation, we
could also maybe turn this optdep into some virtual one like `kernel`
that would then be provided by all our kernels), a text editor (but
neither vi, nano nor anything else are mandatory either), etc.

Regards,
Bruno/Archange