[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Marc Ranolfi mranolfi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 04:02:31 UTC 2019

> The `base` group has been replaced by a metapackage of the same name, we
advise users to install this package (`pacman -Syu base`), as it is
effectively mandatory from now on.

Please, was this discussed somewhere? I want to know the details, and
gather what is needed to update the 'Installation guide' article in the
wiki. In particular, I want to understand why essential packages for new
installations, such as the kernel and a text editor, are not included
(actually I see the kernel is an optional dependency).

Thanks,
Marc