[arch-general] `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

Dan Sommers 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Thu Oct 10 14:40:23 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 10:14 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

 >> > ed? They should learn how to edit a text file using assembly

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I have to write my own text editor
in assembly (not to mention an assembler and possibly a linker) just to
install Arch, then I'm switching distros.

Besides, C-x M-c M-butterfly is so much better.

 >> Never mind Ed Vi Assemblers yes all very fancyfull
 >
 > My ed suggestion wasn't a joke.  It's probably the smallest editor to
 > install.  It has a long pedigree, it's in POSIX, and many know parts of
 > it simply through knowing sed or vi.  I use it every day for quick small
 > edits, especially when the context of what I want to do is on the screen
 > and would be lost by starting a full-screen editor.
 >
 >> joe  far easier  wordstar commands
 >
 > Few know the non-Unix Wordstar now.

I know Wordstar, and I agree with Ralph:  ed(1) is in POSIX, it's tiny,
and it's not as unfamiliar as people think.  It also works with a plain
dumb tty (misconfigured remote shell, anyone?), as opposed to requiring
a cursor addressable or more capable terminal.