[arch-general] Multi-threaded mkinitpcio

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 3 02:02:41 UTC 2020

Em abril 2, 2020 22:28 Amin Vakil escreveu:
> So every update of linux kernels and modules which need mkinitpcio to be
> executed, takes too much unnecessary time (maybe 2 min) which could be
> handled if it executes on multi threads of CPU.

Which compression algorithm are you using?

> Actually this 2 minutes bothers me this much that I'm emailing Arch
> General Mailing List is because I'm afraid my Arch would be broken if my
> laptop shuts down in this process and I have to rescue it by live USB.

As it's true for pretty much all update process for pretty much every OS
in the world, things can break if the update is interrupted.

> So my question is why it doesn't execute over all threads or at least
> have the option to do that?

mkinitcpio is a bunch of scripts copying files to a temporary dir and then
compressing the result afterwards. I bet most of this time you're seeing is
on compression's fault, not mkinicpio itself.

> Does it help if it gets executed over multi threads or the bottleneck is
> somewhere else?

Depending on the compression algorithm, reproducibility might not work if
it's using multiple threads. Also, I see multiple issues that could happen
if the build hooks ran out of order.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini