[arch-general] Multi-threaded mkinitpcio

mpan archml-y1vf3axu at mpan.pl
Fri Apr 3 02:36:37 UTC 2020

> Actually this 2 minutes bothers me this much that I'm emailing Arch
> General Mailing List is because I'm afraid my Arch would be broken if my
> laptop shuts down in this process and I have to rescue it by live USB.
  For nearly a decade of using this particular Arch installation alone,
I never had a single case of losing power while mkinitcpio was running.
I wouldn’t be afraid of that scenario. And laptops are better than my PC
in that manner, because you have backup power from the battery.

> Does it help if it gets executed over multi threads or the bottleneck is
> somewhere else?
  For my particular setup, running `mkinitcpio -P` yields those times:
real	1m8.320s
user	0m24.742s
sys	0m12.806s
Half of the time mkinitcpio was waiting for disk I/O. Most likely
`find`, but that’s only mu guess.

  This is only a single computer. Unlike modern laptops it uses spinning
rust for storage, but OTOH it is also running a CPU that remembers 2000s
and DDR2-800 RAM. So both would affect the outcome.