[arch-general] pacman -Syu ~ 1 yr. of packages, tty1 hangs after root clean, tty2 console login OK - how to fix?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 11 03:25:33 UTC 2020

On 8/10/20 10:10 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> After that many errors, why did you try rebooting without fixing things
> first? The obvious first step is to try rerunning all of those hooks
> using a modern pacman.
>
> (Do not do a year's worth of updates in one go like that, it's not
> tested and might break. It is preferred instead to do incremental
> updates via https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive in
> e.g. monthly increments, but if you insist on doing the whole thing in
> one shot then at least use the latest version of pacman via my
> pacman-static binaries, or the install media + pacman --sysroot /mnt -Syu)

Thank you Eli,

  Well, to be honest, I knew pacman had been updated and I thought rebooting
would fix it :) -- Oh well, maybe not....

  pacman is fully updated now, right? So if I take that list and go back and
try re-running the hooks -- that may be one way to fix it? Worse come to
worse, I'll just wipe /root and reinstall...

  So for my edification -- what happened was after update, the new pacman was
installed along with the new hooks, but since the pacman I ran the update from
was too old, it croaked trying to run the new hooks from the updated pacman?

  Will we give it a go.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.