[arch-general] pacman -Syu ~ 1 yr. of packages, tty1 hangs after root clean, tty2 console login OK - how to fix?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 11 04:00:54 UTC 2020

On 8/10/20 11:25 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 8/10/20 10:10 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> After that many errors, why did you try rebooting without fixing things
>> first? The obvious first step is to try rerunning all of those hooks
>> using a modern pacman.
>>
>> (Do not do a year's worth of updates in one go like that, it's not
>> tested and might break. It is preferred instead to do incremental
>> updates via https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive in
>> e.g. monthly increments, but if you insist on doing the whole thing in
>> one shot then at least use the latest version of pacman via my
>> pacman-static binaries, or the install media + pacman --sysroot /mnt -Syu)
>
> Thank you Eli,
>
>   Well, to be honest, I knew pacman had been updated and I thought rebooting
> would fix it :) -- Oh well, maybe not....
>
>   pacman is fully updated now, right? So if I take that list and go back and
> try re-running the hooks -- that may be one way to fix it? Worse come to
> worse, I'll just wipe /root and reinstall...

Depends on the hook. Some of them use NeedsTargets, so the Exec command
needs to receive the list of triggering files on stdin.

Reinstalling all currently installed packages would have the same
effect, no need to wipe anything. If you have the list of packages which
were updated at that time, you could just update them alone.

Otherwise it might take a bit of fiddling to ensure every hook runs
correctly.

>   So for my edification -- what happened was after update, the new pacman was
> installed along with the new hooks, but since the pacman I ran the update from
> was too old, it croaked trying to run the new hooks from the updated pacman?
>
>   Will we give it a go.

Correct.

Again, using
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pacman-static#pinned-666894 renders
this concern irrelevant since you'd end up running the most recent
pacman in order to perform the update and run hooks.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User