[arch-general] Telinit?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Aug 17 16:43:30 UTC 2020

On 8/17/20 12:19 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
> Em agosto 17, 2020 13:08 David Rosenstrauch escreveu:
>> ???  I always shut down all running daemons when I'm about to update
>> my system - seems like standard operating procedure to me:  1) I'd
>> expect that it would be completely unpredictable what would happen if
>> you updated/replaced an application's files while it was running, 2)
>> there's often config file changes that occur; again, I don't want to
>> try to update or resolve those while an application is running.
>>

> It's not necessary to do so in most cases, but, you might be interested
> in checkservices [0].
> We use it when we update Arch servers, but we don't bring the system to
> rescue because, you know,
> that would interrupt all the services. And almost all of them (all?),
> can run just fine until they
> are restarted. So, my suggestion to you is, run pacman, and optionally
> run checkservices afterwards,
> to restart things that might be needed, if you want. No need to put the
> system in rescue mode.

Thanks for the pointer to checkservices.  Will read up on it.  That
said, I think I'm still likely to stick with updating in rescue mode:
For the specific server in question (my home server) some brief downtime
isn't really an issue.  And at work, where nearly everything is cloud
(and downtime would be an issue), we always just replace an instance
with one running a newer version, rather than update-in-place.

Thanks,

DR