[arch-general] Telinit?

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 17 16:19:48 UTC 2020

Em agosto 17, 2020 13:08 David Rosenstrauch escreveu:
> ???  I always shut down all running daemons when I'm about to update my
> system - seems like standard operating procedure to me:  1) I'd expect
> that it would be completely unpredictable what would happen if you
> updated/replaced an application's files while it was running, 2) there's
> often config file changes that occur; again, I don't want to try to
> update or resolve those while an application is running.

It's not necessary to do so in most cases, but, you might be interested in checkservices [0].
We use it when we update Arch servers, but we don't bring the system to rescue because, you know,
that would interrupt all the services. And almost all of them (all?), can run just fine until they
are restarted. So, my suggestion to you is, run pacman, and optionally run checkservices afterwards,
to restart things that might be needed, if you want. No need to put the system in rescue mode.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://github.com/archlinux/contrib/blob/master/admin/checkservices