[arch-general] No login after update

Kusoneko kusoneko at kusoneko.moe
Thu Aug 20 06:08:50 UTC 2020

On August 19, 2020 8:16:08 PM UTC, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>Em agosto 19, 2020 17:04 Yaro Kasear escreveu:
>>
>> Yes there is. The defaults are literally what's in the config file in
>> the archive and not on the filesystem. How would that not be a way to
>> determine default settings?
>>
>> I'm not suggesting the package manager would have to understand the
>> settings, but it would be able to tell if the contents of that file
>are
>> different from another version. (Which it obviously does already,
>> otherwise it wouldn't know to make a pacnew file.)
>>
>> I can't imagine it'd be that difficult for pacman to compare
>checksums
>> between files in /etc or /boot between versions of a package (If a
>> previous version is available.) and what's on /etc and determine if
>it
>> really needs to bother putting a pacnew file on the filesystem that
>> doesn't need to be there. It's already doing some sort of check
>between
>> what's in the package and what's on the filesystem already.
>>

>How is everything you just said, different than what pacman already
>does?
>How would it determine not to create a .pacnew? If you can answer both
>these
>questions, I'd encourage you to send patches to pacman. Because I
>couldn't
>understand how what you said is any different than the current pacnew
>logic.
>
>Regards,
>Giancarlo Razzolini

I think he's trying to imply that pacman stores a copy of the archive containing the previous version somewhere and that pacman should extract the config files from both and see if something changed before providing a .pacnew. Only thing is, that would cost much more storage space than if one lazily ignored and let the pacnew files be wherever they're placed. In other words, not really a good idea unless you have tons of storage space. I guess you could theoretically patch pacman to do so for yourself if you really wanted to, but for most people it wouldn't be worth it.