[arch-general] pacman -Syu -- Applying kernel sysctl settings... Not setting ... Worry?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 22 04:12:16 UTC 2020

Arch devs,

  For the past several updates, I have noticed the kernel sysctl settings
messages saying:

( 5/17) Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).

  After the recent netctl message issue, I want to nail down what set these in
/proc and whether it is something I need to do something about. I didn't set
any of these specifically, so I presume they are either explicit settings made
during the kernel build or they were set somewhere long ago by some previous
Arch default. In either case, if there were no issues, I wouldn't expect
pacman to go out of its way to tell me about them if nothing needs to be done.

  Though I can also see the messages just being some default behavior of
whatever the kernel sysctl hook is warning about choices that are explicitly set.

  Do I need to do anything about these?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.