[arch-general] efibootmgr doesn't change boot order!

u34 at net9.ga u34 at net9.ga
Mon Dec 28 12:04:37 UTC 2020

Peter K Haokip via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> thanks for the reply,
> I am able to change the boot order from the BIOS menu.  It works A-okay
> from there, I am trying to accomplish that with efibootmgr.
>
> could you cite any link where I could read about it in details ? where the
> bootx64.efi file will be stored if I install it in NOT IN PORTABLE
> mode(?)?  cuz that would help me know whether the grub is installed in
> portable or none portable mode.

> Also, would be nice if you could provide  any source where I can read about
> how I make my motherboard detect regular boot entries (instead of the
> /Efi/boot/bootx64.efi)
>

> thanks,

As far as I am aware of, /Efi/boot/bootx64.efi is mandated by the efi
spec. It could be that there is a 2nd location for the bootx64.efi file.
Or that the 2nd location is mandated by the spec. I guess searching the
internet for bootx64.efi will show more decesive information. And the
archwiki, too.

--
u34