[arch-general] animate.sty in texlive-latexextra needs update

Marco domanov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 14:31:33 UTC 2020

Dear list,

I run into the problem of outdated package "animate" contained in
texlive-latexextra. With the current version of the package, xelatex
is not able to embed animations at least when using png frames. At the
contrary, pdflatex works fine.

Replacing the /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/animate/animate.sty with
the version "2019/12/03" available upstream, that is, from CTAN [1],
fixes the issue.

I am now confused as what it's the best way to proceed, since I am not
familiar with Arch's release cycle of texlive.

Should I flag texlive-latexextra as out-of-date? Or is it better to
file a bugreport?
Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,
Domanov