[arch-general] Adding a "posix" metapackage

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 15:49:40 UTC 2020

Hi Santiago,

> I'm curious, though, are there any specifics about the providers on
> these POSIX tools/libraries/whatnot (i.e., would it be wortwhile
> discussing the alternatives?).

Is sh being provided by bash(1)?  A more POSIX-compliant shell may be
better, one that doesn't let lots of bashisms pass without complaint.
dash(1)?  And dash doesn't have time as a built-in, so we get to pull in
an executable for that too.

As for SCCS, it's a handy file format.  Better in design that RCS's.
And used by other tools over the years, e.g. Bitkeeper, so they do
linger on.  Plus it's a historical file format, just as ncompress was
sought to be more POSIX compliant.

--
Cheers, Ralph.