[arch-general] Adding a "posix" metapackage

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 3 15:57:38 UTC 2020

On 1/3/20 10:49 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Santiago,
>
>> I'm curious, though, are there any specifics about the providers on
>> these POSIX tools/libraries/whatnot (i.e., would it be wortwhile
>> discussing the alternatives?).
>
> Is sh being provided by bash(1)?  A more POSIX-compliant shell may be
> better, one that doesn't let lots of bashisms pass without complaint.
> dash(1)?  And dash doesn't have time as a built-in, so we get to pull in
> an executable for that too.

Currently, sh is provided exclusively by bash, though ksh, zsh, mksh and
busybox also provide a "time" builtin. I guess it would be reasonable to
uncomment it.

> As for SCCS, it's a handy file format.  Better in design that RCS's.
> And used by other tools over the years, e.g. Bitkeeper, so they do
> linger on.  Plus it's a historical file format, just as ncompress was
> sought to be more POSIX compliant.

But ncompress is simple to package and generally useful -- it can even
be used by makepkg for extremely fast compression (albeit not as
compressible as gzip or other recent formats).

SCCS would require me to actually package it! So I need to decide if I'm
interested in the effort that would take, for an XSI option.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User