[arch-general] Adding a "posix" metapackage

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 4 23:33:19 UTC 2020

On 1/4/20 9:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 12:41:26 +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>> Arch users may be producing code for non-Arch, non-Linux, systems.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Pff! Bash is the most used login shell for Linux for good reasons.
> Sometimes I like it faster, hence I like to use dash, sometimes I like
> portability to at least FreeBSD, if so I care about this, too.
>
> Linux isn't POSIX, period!

Sure, bash adds lots of interesting things on top of POSIX, but the
reason it is so popular is in large part because it implements the POSIX
baseline.

Also, it is the most-used login shell, not the most-used script shell.
It is very popular as a script shell too, but /bin/sh is also a very
popular script shell, explicitly for portability across operating systems.

> Let alone that Unix System V-style initialization has nothing in common
> with systemd based Linux distros, something that is as important
> regarding portability, as POSIX is.

Who said anything about System V init? Why would System V init be needed
for portability?

> Btw. I didn't receive the complete thread, while I received all other
> threads from other and this list completely, or maybe I received the
> complete thread, if so, somebody likely has broken the thread and the
> subject, too. When and where did this thread start?
>
> I only can see the three mails I received and no additional mail here:
>
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2020-January/date.html
>
> I can _not_ find a subject "Adding a "posix" metapackage" in the
> December, November, October or September archive, too.
>
> Actually I wasn't interested to reply at all, I'm just curious about
> information related to POSIX vs Linux, IOW I'm interested in learning
> by reading, but it's a broken thread.
>
> Could you please provide a pointer to the start of this thread?

The thread started on arch-dev-public; replies on arch-general occurred
when members of the community wished to discuss the matter as well. Hope
that helps. :)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User