[arch-general] too many brick walls for graphical accessible environment on archlinux

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jan 6 09:05:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 02:45:53 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>I install gnome which has orca in it.  The pulseaudio package installs
>along with all of its core gnome dependencies

Hi,

I don't know if this helps or might break Orca audio for GNOME. For
completely other reasons I'm using an empty dummy package to fulfil the
pulseaudio dependency of some apps. For my purpose it works without
issues since years.

You could edit a PKGBUILD like this and build it using makepkg:

pkgname=pulseaudio
pkgver=2020.01.06
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Dummy package"
arch=('any')
provides=('pulseaudio')

One day or other there was a conflict related to pulseaudio-bluetooth,
so I added an additional empty dummy package.

pkgname=pulseaudio-bluetooth
pkgver=2020.01.06
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Dummy package"
arch=('any')
provides=('pulseaudio-bluetooth')

It might not be from any help to solve your problem, but you never
know, so I want to mention it.

pkgver = date of my pulseaudio dummy package is 2013.08.18 and
pkgver = date of my pulseaudio-bluetooth is 2017.12.19. IOW it works
for me since a very long time. However, I'm _not_ using GNOME, just
plain openbox and I don't use Orca or anything like that. The PC is an
audio workstation using single apps via ALSA or JACK2 with the ALSA
backend, or multiple apps via JACK2 with the ALSA backend and no
bluetooth audio at all.

Regards,
Ralf