[arch-general] Finding virtual dependencies

Lone_Wolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 6 15:01:35 UTC 2020

Hi,

Often when packages are removed from repos they become virtual provides.

While those are great for a transition period , they are not meant to be
used forever.

Unfortunately they do stay around for a very long time.

example :

Around mesa 10.3.0-1 from august 2014[1]  ati-dri, intel-dri,
nouveau-dri and svga-dri were replaced by mesa-dri .

In mesa 10.4.0-1 from december 2014 mesa-dri was integrated in mesa.

we're now 5 years further and mesa still provides & conflicts ati-dri,
intel-dri, nouveau-dri, svga-dri and mesa-dri.

I have wanted to file a bug to get them removed for some time, but don't
know if there are packages that still use them that would break if they
are removed.

> $ pacman -Ss ati-dri
> extra/mesa 19.3.1-1
>     An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification
> multilib/lib32-mesa 19.3.1-1
>     An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification (32-bit)
> $

Is that output proof enough that ati-dri is not used by anything else
then mesa & lib32-mesa or is there a better way to determine which
packages depend on a specific virtual package ?

Lone_Wolf

[1]
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/mesa&id=f5ea4245b126d684bc71712bce482cbe575db3eb

[2]