[arch-general] Finding virtual dependencies

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 15:57:15 UTC 2020

On 1/6/20 10:01 AM, Lone_Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Often when packages are removed from repos they become virtual provides.
>
> While those are great for a transition period , they are not meant to be
> used forever.
>

> Unfortunately they do stay around for a very long time.
>

> example :
>
> Around mesa 10.3.0-1 from august 2014[1]  ati-dri, intel-dri,
> nouveau-dri and svga-dri were replaced by mesa-dri .
>
> In mesa 10.4.0-1 from december 2014 mesa-dri was integrated in mesa.
>
> we're now 5 years further and mesa still provides & conflicts ati-dri,
> intel-dri, nouveau-dri, svga-dri and mesa-dri.
>

> I have wanted to file a bug to get them removed for some time, but don't
> know if there are packages that still use them that would break if they
> are removed.
>
>> $ pacman -Ss ati-dri
>> extra/mesa 19.3.1-1
>>     An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification
>> multilib/lib32-mesa 19.3.1-1
>>     An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification (32-bit)
>> $
>
> Is that output proof enough that ati-dri is not used by anything else
> then mesa & lib32-mesa or is there a better way to determine which
> packages depend on a specific virtual package ?
>
> Lone_Wolf
>

> [1]
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/mesa&id=f5ea4245b126d684bc71712bce482cbe575db3eb
>

> [2]
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/mesa&id=90c5431e1e466ee583de100d0388f72649e75ee1

On https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/mesa/ under
"Required By (191)", none of these provides are in use, compare to the
third package: "bumblebee (requires mesa-libgl)" or further down, see
"abuse (requires mesa-libgl) (make)"

So it seems nothing depends on *-dri, not even for make/check depends.

There's even only one AUR package which uses one of them:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-video-opentegra-git/

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User