[arch-general] Why are Archlinux packages stripped of (debugging) symbols?

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 24 19:29:15 UTC 2020

Em janeiro 21, 2020 20:05 Eli Schwartz via arch-general escreveu:

> I'm personally not a fan of bloating packages even by 10% or whatever
> for debug symbols that many users don't need.

Me neither.

> As I said above, split debug packages need "dbscripts" support to make
> sure they are correctly handled by our repository-building scripts.
>
> If dbscripts supported it, we could enable the debug option in devtools'
> makepkg.conf and start building all packages with debug info.
>
> (Patches welcome!)

I wouldn't be opposed to have something like tecken [0] or some other software
for this (not sure if there is one) where we would upload all the symbol artifacts
for Arch built packages and that users could use when needed.

This wouldn't require changing neither dbscripts nor devtools, but it would be helpful
if devtools had some function to facilitate this. This solution wouldn't bloat neither
our packages nor our mirrors and would be useful to all Arch users. Of course, we could
keep only the last X number of versions on this service, I don't see the point in having
something like the Arch Linux Archive where we try to preserve everything.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://github.com/mozilla-services/tecken