[arch-general] Why are Archlinux packages stripped of (debugging) symbols?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 24 19:41:51 UTC 2020

On 1/24/20 2:29 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> I wouldn't be opposed to have something like tecken [0] or some other
> software
> for this (not sure if there is one) where we would upload all the symbol
> artifacts
> for Arch built packages and that users could use when needed.
>
> This wouldn't require changing neither dbscripts nor devtools, but it
> would be helpful
> if devtools had some function to facilitate this. This solution wouldn't
> bloat neither
> our packages nor our mirrors and would be useful to all Arch users. Of
> course, we could
> keep only the last X number of versions on this service, I don't see the
> point in having
> something like the Arch Linux Archive where we try to preserve everything.
>
> Regards,
> Giancarlo Razzolini
>
> [0] https://github.com/mozilla-services/tecken

Oooh, that's actually a really interesting idea. I bet we could make
this just consume a foo-debug package, then we could just modify
devtools to add OPTIONS+=('debug') in makepkg.conf, and have commitpkg
upload the debug package separately to the symbol server.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User