[arch-general] Why bind-tools was merged into bind package?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 20 13:25:14 UTC 2020

On 7/20/20 3:15 AM, Óscar García Amor wrote:
> The problem is. Where is the limit? The whole distribution in one
> package? The argument is the same, if you don't need it simply don't
> use it.

Don't be facetious.

>  In this case we are talking about binaries widely used that will be
> installed with a service rarely used. I think that packages that have
> enough entity to be splitted should do it.

There is already a distribution which caters to this thing that you
think. Its name is Debian. You are free to use it, if you like, however,
you are wasting your time trying to convince anyone on this list to tear
down one of the core values of the Arch Way.

Please read or reread
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Principles

> From my point of view is
> safer don't have a service installed than installed an disabled.

You have a right to that opinion. However, if you intend to convince
anyone *else* that this is indeed the case, you will need to do more
than merely state your point of view. Specifically, you will need to
prove it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User