[arch-general] Question about packaging a library (AUR)

Dominik Schrempf dominik.schrempf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:25:26 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am the maintainer of the 'transcribe' AUR package. Recently, I have received a
request (cc) about also packaging and providing a proprietary library that comes
along with 'transcribe'. I quote:

* videosection, a special plugin provided by us as part of the download,
can be found in the file libgstvideosection.so and it needs to be alongside
the transcribe executable.*

I tried to provide the videosection library in /usr/lib, but that doesn't work.
I don't feel comfortable providing the library in /usr/bin. Do you know an
appropriate way to deal with such cases? Is it preferable to install the
executable in a separate folder alongside the library? For example,
/opt/transcribe?

Thanks in advance,
Dominik