[arch-general] Arch should be apolitical

Filipe Laíns filipe.lains at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 06:17:06 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-06-01 at 23:18 +0000, Amir Fletcher via arch-general
wrote:
> Arch Linux is a fantastic distribution. It should remain exactly
> that: a computer operating system for technical users. Politics
> should not be part of the project.
>
> Recently, the Arch reddit logo was changed to a rainbow. This is for
> "pride month". It is forcing a political view on all of the users who
> did not ask for this. Many of us don't care about the views of the
> developers or moderators as long as we continue to enjoy Arch.
>
> When this was brought up, the moderator silenced the criticism and
> deleted the thread.
>
> https://old.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/gutcxb/is_arch_gay/
>
> https://archive.is/Y9Ni1
>
> This is where the problem begins. If we cannot even discuss
> disagreement with views being forced on us, what's left? Please
> moderators and developers, reconsider forcing your views on us and
> not even allowing discussion about it. We do not all share your
> views, but we can get along if everyone is left to their own devices.
>
> This kind of topic should not even need to be brought up. It's very
> disheartening to see whoever moderates that reddit doing this. We
> just want to use Arch. In many cultures outside of Europe or the US,
> this is not welcome at all. Even in those countries, not everyone
> wants an agenda shoved into their face.

CC-ing everyone involved on the thread.

I am saddened seeing how some people in this thread are addressing this
issue. I am not one to usually comment on this sort of matter, given
the context, as it is completely irrelevant to the work being done
here, but in this case I feel that I should stand up.

The use of the Pride flag or colors does not mean *endorsement*. It
means that the community is **paying respect** and **showing support**
to a group which has been mistreated and oppressed all throughout
history, still up to this day. Nobody is asking you, or any other
member, to identify or participate in the movement, only to show
respect.

And for the ones that still feel entitled to having a say on how the
community should behave, don't. All communities being discussed here,
being Arch or the subreddit are run by volunteers, which put in the
work for you to benefit. If the subreddit team decided they wanted to
show support during Pride month, it is their decision. Everyone else
is, of course, still entitled to their own opinions.

If your disagreement comes from religious believes, I hope you still
find in your heart to acknowledge and respect the enormous amount of
suffering this group has overcomed.

Going back to the issue. I always try to assume good intent when
lacking information. This sort of accusations are not helpful. Having a
look at the reddit thread, you can easily pick out some trolling
comments, which is against the rules. I would even consider the name of
the thread itself as trolling.

From the CoC:
>  "troll" is a person who misuses their forum freedoms to
intentionally disrupt, cause controversy, incite an argument, and/or
receive negative attention by deliberately posting provocative content

If you want to have a constructive discussion on why the reddit staff
decided to show support during this month, feel free to create a new
thread.

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns