[arch-general] Teo En Ming's Linux From Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd Bootable Live CD/DVD Kernel Panic

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming ceo at teo-en-ming.com
Tue Mar 17 16:16:59 UTC 2020

Subject: Teo En Ming's Linux From Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd
Bootable Live CD/DVD Kernel Panic

Good day from Singapore to all Linux users,

Recently, on 12 March 2020, I have successfully created my own custom
Linux distribution which I affectionately call it Teo En Ming Linux.
My custom Linux distribution is based on the most basic Linux From
Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd book and Linux kernel 5.5.7. I am able to
boot it successfully on
my Toshiba 1 TB 3.5 inch SATA internal harddisk /dev/sdb2.

After the initial success, I wanted to make a bootable Live CD/DVD of my
Linux From Scratch system. I followed Jimmy Anderson's guide (which was
written more
than 7 years ago on 20 Jan 2013) and modified his guide in trying to
make it work with LFS 20200302-systemd book.

You may refer to the following guides on how I created a bootable Live
CD/DVD of my Linux From Scratch system.

Blog post #1: "How to create a Bootable Live CD/DVD from your Linux From
Scratch (LFS) build"

Link:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com/2020/03/how-to-create-bootable-live-cddvd-from.html

Blog post #2: "Patching Linux Kernel 5.5.7 to Add Support for AUFS
Filesystem"

Link:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com/2020/03/patching-linux-kernel-557-to-add.html

When I booted up my bootable Live CD/DVD, I got a kernel panic.

Looking at the following screenshot, it seems that my 64-bit Live CD
booted in 32-bit mode.

Screenshot:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P_EcnlhuDIQ/XnDso3sjNZI/AAAAAAAAAqw/qa5EZoHQQa8WxJxnqp43b9quHGIclXSJwCNcBGAsYHQ/s1600/booted%2Bvia%2Bstartup%2B32.png

Notice the "trampoline_32bit" and "booted via startup_32()" lines on the
above screenshot.

The following screenshot illustrates the kernel panic.

Screenshot:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uSNEk19fG7s/XnDtZf-80_I/AAAAAAAAAq4/Q-GAHKnWe_ISvmoqW6iFjncdZEkgwD90wCNcBGAsYHQ/s1600/kernel%2Bpanic.png

My guess is that my 64-bit Live CD booted up in 32-bit mode, and when it
tried to execute /sbin/init (symlink to systemd binary) after mounting
the squashfs root file system, which is 64-bit, it resulted in a kernel
panic. What I am trying to say is that the 64-bit Linux kernel on the
Live CD boots up in 32-bit mode (my guess), and then tried to execute
purely 64-bit binaries, which results in a kernel panic.

Please advise me on how I can resolve this issue and produce a working
Live CD of my LFS system without kernel panic.

Thank you very much.

--
-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----