[arch-general] latest kernel update surprise

leoutation at gmx.fr leoutation at gmx.fr
Sun Mar 22 14:03:05 UTC 2020

On 3/22/20 2:28 PM, Piscium via arch-general wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 11:03, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> 5.59-10 on the machine I use.  I'm using a different version of linux on
>> another disk to write this message.
>> Strangely, both speaker-test and espeakup no longer work.  The
>> speaker-test failure would of course
>> cover espeakup since espeakup uses sound card resources to do screen
>> reading.
>> Was anything done to the kernel to cause these failures?
>
> Before Arch I used Fedora for 7 years. I found Fedora far more stable
> than Arch when upgrading to a new Fedora version 3 months after
> release when most bugs have been fixed. With Arch there is always
> something that does not work properly and then days or weeks later it
> starts working again.
Hi
Did you installed Arch in the right way?
The only Arch installation method is here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
Since 22 years, i use Linux. After redhat, suse, gentoo, fedora, debian
stable,testing and sid, i went to Arch. I get rare problems with Arch,
less than with other distributions (except with venerable debian/stable)
To become happy Arch user:
First, very important: use linux-lts all and "lts" or "still" packages
you can find. Non lts kernels *are not* stable. Then, don't update each
day. Then, when you do something, you have to know what you are doing.

--
Maderios