[arch-general] latest kernel update surprise

Chris Billington chrisjbillington at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 17:34:09 UTC 2020

 <https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/linux-versioned-bin/>

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM Ralf Mardorf via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 14:43:44 +0100, Bennett Piater wrote:
> >However, maybe you should consider using the LTS kernel, packages as
> >linux- lts?
>
> It doesn't harm to install more than just one kernel and one of those
> kernels IMO should be a LTS kernel.

For those who are particularly concerned about breakage due to kernel
upgrades, they might be interested in my AUR packages for versioned kernel
installs:

https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/linux-versioned-bin/
https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/linux-lts-versioned-bin/

These repackage the Arch kernels so that multiple versions can be installed
simultaneously, so that after an upgrade the previous version is still
available.

Usually having the regular and LTS kernels is sufficient to ensure at least
one boots or doesn't have some regression that's appeared in the other, but
if you need more than that, versioned kernel installs might be useful.

-Chris