[arch-general] latest kernel update surprise

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Mar 22 17:51:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 13:34 -0400, Chris Billington wrote:
> These repackage the Arch kernels so that multiple versions can be
> installed simultaneously, so that after an upgrade the previous
> version is still available.

If an install should suffer from a kernel regression a Linux live media
and running

# systemd-nspawn -bqD /mount/point/of/the/broken

and then using

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/

might help.

However, installing different kernel versions could be easily done by
using already existing package sources from either the AUR or via
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System and just changing
the name.

I'm building kernels close to the AUR linux-rt and linux-rt-lts by not
only changing the name, but just changing the name does work, too.

$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-pussytoes,-cornflower,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.5.10.arch1-1
5.4.22_rt13-1.0
5.4.19_rt11-1.0
5.4.17_rt9-1.0