[arch-general] Apache Virtual Host Connection Refused Error

Pat Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Tue Mar 31 04:23:03 UTC 2020

Excerpts from Matt Schwartz via arch-general's message of March 30, 2020 8:39 pm:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a vexing problem with an Apache Virtual Host setup. In a nutshell, I
> have verified that apache is listening on port 80 and I have double checked
> my virtual host setup. Indeed, I can reach by IP address and the connection
> is logged under the virtual host. However, when I try to use the domain
> name, I get a connection refused error. The httpd.conf file is pretty much
> stock with the exception of uncommenting the userdir stuff and the vhosts
> line at the bottom. I pretty much followed the article on the wiki. I am
> leaning towards a DNS issue but my domain properly resolves to the correct
> IP address. The IP address is 149.28.50.65. What could I have missed?

The domain goblackcat.com and all subdomains are on the HSTS preload
list. You _cannot_ serve unsecured HTTP content from those domains; all
current modern browsers will refuse to read it.

Removing a domain from the HSTS preload is difficult and time-consuming,
but can be done at https://hstspreload.org/. I would recommend just
setting up Let's Encrypt.