[arch-general] nvidia-dkms pkgrel increase after every linux upgrade

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 31 18:08:20 UTC 2020

On 3/31/20 1:31 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Em março 31, 2020 14:03 Eli Schwartz via arch-general escreveu:
>>
>> See the broadcom-wl PKGBUILD for how to avoid this. Also note the
>> wireguard-{arch,lts} packages have adopted this method.
>>
>> It's up to Sven-Hendrik Haase if he wants to do this, though.
>>

> Well, the best way to avoid this is a complete separate package. But
> also increases
> the burden on the maintainer. So, it's up to Sven to do this, but I
> don't think it's
> strictly necessary.

I would argue it *reduces* the maintenance burden, since you can use the
dkms package as a single source of truth, and makedepends on it to
build. You already know the dkms version should build.

I've even templated it so it is trivial to do

pkgname="${pkgname}-customkernel" and have it do everything correctly to
build for a different kernel.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User