[arch-general] Makepkg: Incremental builds

LuKaRo lists at lrose.de
Mon Nov 2 18:39:51 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm currently building ungoogled-chromium from AUR, which is running for
6 hrs now on my 6-core i7-9750H laptop and almost done. However, I'm
thinking about what happens when the next version will be released. From
my understanding, when running git pull to fetch the latest version from
AUR and afterwards makepkg -sri, the old binaries will be deleted prior
to starting the build, which will probably require to build everything
from scratch. Am I right?

However, I'm sure that only parts of the source change between versions.
Therefore, only parts of the binary files would need to be built again,
which would dramatically decrease build time. Correct? How can I make
use of incremental builds using makepkg? I'm aware of the -e switch, but
that would skip the prepare function, which might be required as e.g.
new patch files from AUR would need to be applied.

Furthermore, the timestamps of the source files all seem to be set to
the archival date. This would probably also require a full build, even
if only parts of the source changed. Correct? If yes, is there a way to
fix that?

Having to spend 6-7 hrs of build time on each new release would make
frequent updating impractical.

Thanks in advance!

LuKaRo