[arch-general] Makepkg: Incremental builds

karx nerdstep710 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:52:36 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, 12:40 PM LuKaRo <lists at lrose.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently building ungoogled-chromium from AUR, which is running for
> 6 hrs now on my 6-core i7-9750H laptop and almost done. However, I'm
> thinking about what happens when the next version will be released. From
> my understanding, when running git pull to fetch the latest version from
> AUR and afterwards makepkg -sri, the old binaries will be deleted prior
> to starting the build, which will probably require to build everything
> from scratch. Am I right?

However, I'm sure that only parts of the source change between versions.
> Therefore, only parts of the binary files would need to be built again,
> which would dramatically decrease build time. Correct? How can I make
> use of incremental builds using makepkg? I'm aware of the -e switch, but
> that would skip the prepare function, which might be required as e.g.
> new patch files from AUR would need to be applied.
>
> Furthermore, the timestamps of the source files all seem to be set to
> the archival date. This would probably also require a full build, even
> if only parts of the source changed. Correct? If yes, is there a way to
> fix that?

Having to spend 6-7 hrs of build time on each new release would make
> frequent updating impractical.

There are binary packages available on the ungoogled-chromium-archlinux
GitHub page[1], however, downloading binaries from untrusted sources is
usually frowned upon.

[1]: https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-archlinux

-- Yash

Thanks in advance!