[arch-general] root login @ console

Steven Guikal lists-void at fluix.dev
Fri Nov 13 16:30:28 UTC 2020

On Fri Nov 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM EST, Jack Frost via arch-general wrote:
> What setting is preventing root from being able to authenticate. I
> noticed when I went to cups on localhost:631 and tried to do an admin
> task and needed to authenticate. Root couldn't login.

Perhaps the root account is locked with `passwd -l root`? You can try
and check by looking through the `/etc/passwd` file. If after `root:` is
an `!` or a `*`, then you won't be able to login.

> How do I allow root logins under Arch/Arco linux at a console???

Assuming you have access to the bootloader, you can try "Using bash as
init"[1] or the other options on the Wiki page.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reset_lost_root_password#Using_bash_as_init

 - Steven