[arch-general] conflict on /usr/bin generated by tigervnc?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 10 01:25:01 UTC 2020

On 9/9/20 8:55 PM, karx via arch-general wrote:
> Shouldn't we put something up on the main page about this?

You're right. Let me go put up a news post for this. How does this sound?

Title
-----------
Don't do stupid things without asking

Body
-----------
In the event you ever get told a package cannot be installed due to file
conflicts with another package, don't try to force it anyway, using
non-default options which self-describe as "bypass [safety] checks",
that you need to go out of your way to use, especially if you haven't
been told to do so. If you actually needed to do manual intervention, we
would have published a news post. Just sit tight and wait for a
non-broken package to be available for properly installing.

Before you pointlessly wreck your system, at least ask on the forum or
mailing list first.

This message brought to you by the department of the obvious.

/s

The default expectation is you don't use --overwrite unless explicitly
told to do so. We won't put up news posts for everything you shouldn't
have done.

If you somehow do it anyway and post asking for help repairing your
system, we will try to help you, but we'll also make sure to lecture you
on why it's a bad idea to do it and how you should think twice next time.

Do NOT use an emergency repair tool for routine upgrades, only do so
when you fully understand why you're doing it, OR the developers of Arch
have told you it's the correct approach. If in doubt, ask.

And I would like to reiterate: really, really, REALLY, do not use
--overwrite unless you know what you're doing or have done as the OP did
and asked (and been told to do so). The entire *point* of the option is
to declare that your Arch installation is broken and you need to tell
pacman that pacman is wrong about your files. By stepping off the beaten
path, you incur the possibility of being wrong and making things a lot
worse.

Do NOT use --overwrite unless you know what you're doing.

DO what the original poster did, and ask the experts before proceeding.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User