[arch-general] Sequoia/Octopus and Thunderbird - alternative OpenPGP support package

Javier je-vv at e.email
Sat Apr 17 21:54:54 UTC 2021

On 4/9/21 4:46 AM, NicoHood via arch-general wrote:
> On 4/8/21 9:17 PM, Mike Cloaked via arch-general wrote:
>> There is a new announcement of a drop-in replacement library for rnp in
>> Thunderbird, that is based on code at the Sequoia project:
>>
>> https://sequoia-pgp.org/blog/2021/04/08/202103-a-new-backend-for-thunderbird/
>>
>> This would look very promising as a way to recover so much functionality
>> that was dropped in the current Thunderbird builds for OpenPGP support.  It
>> would seem that building sequoia/octopus and using the resulting library
>> would allow a version of Thunderbird to be built that has significantly
>> enhanced support for integration with openPGP keyrings, and also support
>> autcrypt.
>>
>> It might be really nice if a version of Thunderbird was built for the arch
>> repos with this library supporting encryption and signing instead of the
>> current rnp implementation. Does anyone else think this would be a good
>> project to work on?
>>

> I like the idea! I have not (re)enabled GPG support since the update
> because of varios reasons. A local keyring integration is just super
> important!

I also think the same.  I do actually use GPG keyring for my private keys, but I believe that's not enough, and I'd like to use GPG instead, but TB made that impossible, or so I believed, until reading this, :)

Unfortunately, I'd guess Arch maintainers don't like patching upstream SW, and I understand since I like as much vanilla SW as possible, this would be one good exception for me, :)

Thanks !

--
Javier