[arch-general] Sequoia/Octopus and Thunderbird - alternative OpenPGP support package

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Sun Apr 18 07:52:12 UTC 2021

On 4/17/21 11:54 PM, Javier via arch-general wrote:
> On 4/9/21 4:46 AM, NicoHood via arch-general wrote:
>> On 4/8/21 9:17 PM, Mike Cloaked via arch-general wrote:
>>> There is a new announcement of a drop-in replacement library for rnp in
>>> Thunderbird, that is based on code at the Sequoia project:
>>>
>>> https://sequoia-pgp.org/blog/2021/04/08/202103-a-new-backend-for-thunderbird/
>>>

>>> This would look very promising as a way to recover so much functionality
>>> that was dropped in the current Thunderbird builds for OpenPGP
>>> support.  It
>>> would seem that building sequoia/octopus and using the resulting library
>>> would allow a version of Thunderbird to be built that has significantly
>>> enhanced support for integration with openPGP keyrings, and also support
>>> autcrypt.
>>>
>>> It might be really nice if a version of Thunderbird was built for the
>>> arch
>>> repos with this library supporting encryption and signing instead of the
>>> current rnp implementation. Does anyone else think this would be a good
>>> project to work on?
>>>

>> I like the idea! I have not (re)enabled GPG support since the update
>> because of varios reasons. A local keyring integration is just super
>> important!
>>

> I also think the same.  I do actually use GPG keyring for my private
> keys, but I believe that's not enough, and I'd like to use GPG instead,
> but TB made that impossible, or so I believed, until reading this, :)
>
> Unfortunately, I'd guess Arch maintainers don't like patching upstream
> SW, and I understand since I like as much vanilla SW as possible, this
> would be one good exception for me, :)
>
> Thanks !

I am not sure if that is what you (Javier) are actually doing, but I
found a (simple but hidden) way to still use the GPG keyring without any
thunderbird modifications.

I was not aware of that before, so I'd like to share:
https://blog.nicohood.de/use-thunderbird-78-with-system-gnupg-keyring

Cheers,
Nico