[arch-general] How to cross-pacstrap for other architecture

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 15:41:18 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

I was wondering if it is possible to cross-pacstrap an Arch installation for a different architecture. In my case I
wanted to prepare a boot medium for a Raspberry Pi 4 on my x86_64 machine.

Why cross-pacstrap? The Arch Linux Arm homepage unfortunately does not provide any information about the software
packages that the prepared installation archives contain and I'd like to install my Raspi from scratch.

But a real cross-build is needless as the packages are all available in the various repos.

I've tried running 'pacstrap -C pacman.aarch64.conf /mnt base' where pacman.aarch64.conf is extracted from the Arch
Linux Arm installation archive but after the packages are extracted, pacman tries to run something inside the
installation environment which fails due to the mismatch in architectures.

Any ideas regarding how to cross-pacstrap?

Thanks,

	Uwe