[arch-general] Nvidia, fuck you again

Iyán Méndez Veiga me at iyanmv.com
Mon Dec 6 15:54:39 UTC 2021

Hi Bennett,

On Monday 6 December 2021 16:40:28 CET Bennett Piater via arch-general wrote:
> On 2021-12-06 13:09, Iyán Méndez Veiga via arch-general wrote:
> > I've always done early loading, but still 495.44 is broken right now
> > for me.
> > At least with KDE Plasma.
>
> Hi, as far as I remember, 495 dropped support for a few generations of
> GPUs.

I have a GTX 1070 which is (in theory) fully supported by nvidia, and I don't
expect them to drop the support for a few more years. I mean, even the GeForce
700 Series are still supported (~8 years old) in the latest 495.44.

> So if you're using relatively old hardware, you might be stuck
> downgrading to 475(?) or whatever the previous version was.
> And a compatible LTS kernel, but if you're on nvidia that's probably
> already what you're doing?

I'm using the latest kernel but the driver 470.86 from AUR (which is btw, the
current production branch version).

> Otherwise, you may want to switch to the open-source driver, as long as
> you don't need AAA gaming, CUDA or vulkan.

I do need CUDA. And also AAA gaming with 495 on Linux is a no go right now as
well. I have two friends with a RTX 2060 and a RTX 3080 (yeah, they do exist
apparently), and they cannot run Steam on the latest driver either.

So, as I said, I think 495.44 is buggy, and 470.86 is fully compatible with
linux 5.15.x. So anyone with issues should simply use the 470.xx packages from
AUR until nvidia releases a new version.

Cheers,
Iyán

--
Iyán Méndez Veiga