[arch-general] Nvidia, fuck you again

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Dec 6 16:11:59 UTC 2021

On 12/6/21 10:54 AM, Iyán Méndez Veiga via arch-general wrote:
> I have a GTX 1070 which is (in theory) fully supported by nvidia, and I don't
> expect them to drop the support for a few more years. I mean, even the GeForce
> 700 Series are still supported (~8 years old) in the latest 495.44.

> So, as I said, I think 495.44 is buggy, and 470.86 is fully compatible with
> linux 5.15.x. So anyone with issues should simply use the 470.xx packages from
> AUR until nvidia releases a new version.

I've not heard anything about 495.44 being buggy.  Rather, I think your
issue is that that version of the driver no longer supports your card.
I have a GTK 1050 Ti and it works fine; I just need to use the 470.86
version.

You can see at the nvidia driver search/download site that your 1070 is
only supported by the 470 version of the driver:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/183575/en-us

Install the following packages from AUR and you should be fine:

libxnvctrl-470xx 470.86-1
nvidia-470xx-dkms 470.86-3
nvidia-470xx-settings 470.86-1
nvidia-470xx-utils 470.86-3